Wednesday, October 1, 2014

War In The Year 3030

The ticking of the machines were so loud they could be heard from a mile away.
“This isn’t going to be easy. Those bastards have re-formulated their ships, and I’m not sure if these will do the trick.” Our commander points to the explosives nearby. I take a deep breath and swallow the fear that surges up within me.
“After we send these their way, we’re going to have to come in on foot. All our Saber Bikes have been disabled.” He says glancing to the pile of rubble that used to be our Bikes.
“Now are you with me?!” He says his voice rising.
“Aye Sir.” We all say in unison.
“No, I said ARE YOU WITH ME?” He says his voice booming over the small army of us.
“AYE SIR!” We yell back at him.
“LET’S GO!” We each grab an explosive pack and turn it on, sending it towards the machines. They fly off into the air, their trackers focused and ready.
                We patiently for the booms, but nothing happens. “Sir, something isn’t right.” I say a bad feeling creeping up my spine. The commander glances at me and I can the doubt in his eyes. But before he can respond the explosives are flying back at us. I barely have time to snap on my teleportation unit. It takes me a good couple feet away from the explosion but I can still feel the heat. Hundreds of screams echo out from the fire as I lay in the rocks, my face and arms cut open from my landing. I stand up and look to where the Army is burning. I am shocked and I feel so sick that I might throw up. My legs go weak beneath me and I fall to the ground.
                “NOOOOO!!” The piercing scream finds its way out of me. I’m on my knees, my sobs coming in waves. This isn’t the first time this has happened to me. History just seems to repeat itself.

                I have been in many wars throughout my lifetime. This war is the worst one of them all, because it involves the Oyers. The Oyers are a mutant species from another planet, they invaded our planet two years ago and they just keep killing. Killing and taking. It’s what they do best. There was nothing our planet could do to stop them. They were just too advanced with their technology. Here I am again watching another one of my squads die and there’s nothing I can do to change it.
                               

The machines are getting closer now, and I pick myself up from the ground. A ferocious anger builds inside me and I grab my gun. I stomp my way toward the direction of where the machines are coming and plant myself still, waiting for them to come. I brace myself and take a deep breath. No more running from death, it’s time to face him head on.
                The machine finally makes it’s way around the corner and I stand there unmoving. The machine is like a giant mechanical animal, stopping to stand right in front of me.
“I challenge you!” I announce into the open air. My voice sounds weak.
“I CHALLENGE YOU, I know you are in there, operating this big piece of scrap metal. I know you could kill me now, but where’s the fun in that eh?” I say louder this time, my voice more confident. I grip my gun tightly in my hand. The top of the machine swivels open and out steps an Oyer. They look almost identical to us, except where my skin is blue theirs is a pale tan white color. Where I have deep black pits for eyes they have pupils. “Give up now, and maybe we will let you live.” The man says. He wears a uniform with a flag on it. The flags colors have red white and blue and in the middle is the planet that they come from. Planet Earth.
“I’m not afraid of you!” I reply, raising my gun.
Oyer in our language translates to human.
“I’m sorry, I really am.” He says and suddenly the machine raises it’s large canon at me and fires. 

No comments:

Post a Comment